Lead paint is dangerous because when ingested it can cause a host of physical problems, including damage to the organs and brain, learning disabilities, memory problems, and seizures. Small children are at the highest risk of ingesting lead paint by putting paint chips or peels into their mouths; however, lead paint dust can also be breathed from doors and windows that repeatedly open and shut.
In 1978, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) outlawed the use of lead paint, and by 1991 they stated lead paint was the “number one environmental threat to the health of children in the United States.” However, lead paint is also very hazardous to adults as well because there is no safe level of lead exposure or blood lead concentration.
Lead paint contains lead, a metal that is known to be very toxic to humans and animals. When lead is ingested it can cause lead poisoning, which may result in a number of health problems, including internal organ and brain damage, seizures, unconsciousness, and, in high doses, death. Lead poisoning via lead paint is most well-known for its impacts upon children who are known to have suffered from learning disabilities and severe behavioral problems following lead exposure.
When paint gets old it begins to crack and chip, then fall to the floor surfaces of your home where children and animals may be prone to ingesting it. In the case of lead paint, this can result in lead poisoning. Lead paint is also inadvertently inhaled in the form of paint dust when old lead paint in doorways or window frames is disrupted through normal household use. For these reasons it’s a good idea to have your home checked for lead paint so that you can take precautions to safeguard your health and that of your family.