The Dangers of Lead Paint
Lead paint was banned for use in 1978 by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) because lead was recognized as one of the most toxic and potentially harmful substances in the man-made environment. Ingestion of lead paint can lead to lead toxicity, also known as lead poisoning, and has especially detrimental consequences in children – including learning disabilities, behavioral problems, impaired nervous system and brain functions and anemia.
You probably wonder how lead can be ingested if it is located in the paint on your house. The problem is that over time paint breaks down, chips, peels, and is ground into dust with the opening and closing of doors and windows. So it can be inadvertently ingested via breathing of fine particulates or through chips being eaten by small children.
When the EPA recognized lead paint as the “number one environmental threat to the health of children in the United States,” the problem became more widely acknowledged. Unfortunately, even small amounts of lead exposure can cause significant health problems, so it is best to remove this toxic substance from your home altogether.