The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned the use of lead paint in 1978 as it was recognized to be a severely hazardous substance. It is especially problematic with children – for whom even low levels of ingestion can lead to learning disabilities and associated behavioral problems, while high levels of intake can cause poisoning, resulting in an impaired nervous system and brain functions and anemia. Ingestion of lead paint typically happens when the paint is chipping or flaking, crushed, or broken into dust and inhaled.
In 1991 the EPA claimed lead paint was the “number one environmental threat to children’s health in the United States.” It’s a high stake risk to live in a home where you don’t know if your child is safe. No level of lead exposure or blood lead concentration is said to be safe for children, so it’s really for the best to have your home inspected for this potential danger.
Children under age 6 are at the highest risk of lead paint poisoning because they tend to play on the floor and put things into their mouths, which they can easily do with lead paint chips. Lead poisoning is more detrimental to young children because they are at earlier stages of development and more vulnerable to damage. It can also impact unborn babies if consumed by their mothers. So if you have a family or are thinking about starting one, it is in your best interest to have your home inspected for lead paint.