Often we get asked, “What is Lead-Based Paint?” Lead is a toxic metal that can cause serious health problems if it’s ingested or if dust containing lead is inhaled. Up until 1978, when federal regulations restricted the use of lead in household paint, lead was a common component in exterior and interior paints. If your home or structure was built before 1978, you will need to test for lead prior to contracting work. Lead could cause a range of health problems to the body, young children especially are at the greatest risk of lead poisoning which is why extra caution is taken when working with lead paint to avoid lead exposure.